Fair Trade Statement (Once A Tree Ranges)
We have been importing handicrafts for over 20 years and have seen dramatic improvements in peopleís living standards over that period. Although we are not a member of any Fair Trade Organisations we follow many of their principles. Our belief is Trade is much better than aid. We Trade in the following way:
1. Paying fair market prices.
2. Pay a minimum 30% deposit at time of order and do not ask for credit. Finance some suppliers 100%, so they do not need to borrow. And have even helped one financially to build a new factory.
3. Never cancel an order.
4. Build long term relationships with our suppliers
5. Have assurance that no child labour is involved and workers rights are recognised.
6. We work closely with our suppliers developing our own ranges of high quality products giving them additional income.
Many of our items are can be classed as cottage industries - where by the wood is taken to peopleís homes and they carve it. This is done by skilled craftsmen/women - the rate would be per item therefore men and woman would earn the same wage. We understand wages for wood carvers are more than working in the fields. All of our suppliers have increased their prices. Over the last few years due to wage/commodity increases, one has stated he now pays 3 times the rate of 5 years ago and all complain there is a shortage of workers.
We support Fair Trade but realise it is a grey area with many questions - Although we visit our suppliers regularly, we (as many importerís do) rely largely on statements they make. Nearly all our suppliers are deeply religious people and we have no reason to doubt them.